The Little Librarian


A.M.D.G

May 14, 2017
I still remember the evening when I revealed to my father, my desire to become a Catechism teacher in our Sunday School. My father, appreciated my desire and he insisted to ask our vicar about this. With much anxiety and nervousness, I waited outside Fr. Philip’s room. It was not very easy to be appointed as a Catechist in such a large Sunday School which consisted about 700 students and about 35 teachers. The staff consisted of well qualified and well experienced personalities. There were about 6 college professors, 15 or more school teachers, government employees and many others. I was only 17 years old and just completed Plus Two. Will he accept my request? Fr. Philip who was very friendly to all welcomed me into his room and I told him my desire to become a Catechist.

To my surprise, he too encouraged me and asked me to join next month, in which the Sunday school reopened. But, I was not so much happy when I was assigned to the post of librarian. I loved teaching and interacting with children more than anything else. But, my father told me, “Jerry, bloom where you are planted. May be this could be a chance given by the Lord to prove yourself.” Alright. I joined the Sunday School on June 4, the first Sunday in the AY 2017-18. I was given the keys of the library. I opened the door and entered into a small room with 2 cupboards cluttered with many books. There were about 2000 books which mainly dealt with spirituality, lives of saints and other general topics and also DVDs of spiritual movies.  I’ve came here many times while I was a student. Of course, it was a deserted area which the students never visited.

The past librarian had resigned from the Sunday School, as a result, there was nobody to guide me in this new task. I saw piles of students’ workbooks and other waste materials lying on the floor. The room was full of dust. The registers were not properly kept. Spider webs could be seen on the nooks and corners. I started cleaning it. Waste materials were removed from there. As I was arranging the books, one teacher advised me to be very careful as she had found even a scorpion when she cleaned the library 4 years ago. I was afraid whether some snakes will be hiding behind the shelves! I realized that Sundays were not enough to renovate the library. So, I went there week days after my classes or other holidays and did my duty. Books were rearranged, registers were ruled and the library was dedicated to Mother Mary by fixing a small statue. The most important thing was awaiting – attracting the students towards library. As a part of it, I visited all the classes from 1st std to 12th std.

Only a very few teachers supported my attempt. Others raised the question, “What can a young boy do in this field?” But God had showered upon me His abundant grace and mercy. There was huge rush in that small room that day itself. I thanked good Lord for rewarding my work. About 50 students visited the library after their classes. The support from students of primary classes are quite praiseworthy. I was very much excited when the promoters from the Archdiocese mentioned about the orderliness and tidiness of the library during the staff meeting.

After this, I was called to take classes during the absence of teachers. I was very anxious when I was first called to handle the Plus One class. A first year degree student taking class for Plus One students! I was very nervous. But good Lord was there, again to assist me in my difficulties. I took the class on prolife and abortion for an hour without any interruption.  Next day, when I arrived at college, Tony Shaji, my classmate told me that her sister attended my class and told him about my class. He was very amazed and he congratulated me. After my first class, I was blessed to take classes as a substitute teacher.

I am not able to express my joy when children come to me calling “Jerry chettaa” with an innocent smile. When I’m walking or waiting at the bus stop, I could see little kids waving their hands at me. Oh God! How could I repay all these debts? I’m eagerly waiting for the new academic year 2018-19 which will start on June 3rd , so that I could spend time with my littlest angels in my little kingdom. Let the words of St. Josemaria Escriva reverberate in their ears, “Don’t neglect spiritual reading, because reading has made many saints”.

Please don’t think that I am bragging on myself. I wrote all these to show you, how much love and care God gives you through His little children. I remember my eldest brother’s words, “Jerry, when you begin to do this for the greater glory of God, He will be with you in all your attempts”. Oh Lord, I do this for Your greater glory. Thank you Jesus.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Return to the Art of Letter Writing

What a Friend we Have in Jesus