A Return to the Art of Letter Writing


A Return to the Art of Letter Writing



It was 9.30 in the morning and I was nearing the front gate of St. Berchmans College. As I saw the arch in front of the college, I felt I had forgotten something. I scratched my hair in hesitation. Thank God! I found it. I took an inland letter out of my pocket. I checked the receiver’s address below the stamp imprinted with Smt. Indira Gandhi’s smiling face. It was my first letter. Till then, I had only written letters in my answer sheets of language papers. And this was the first time I ever wrote a letter in real life.
The letter was addressed to my friend who was undergoing priestly formation in Indore. As seminarians, they had restriction in using mobile phones. So, I decided to express my feelings through this piece of paper. I put the letter in the letter box in front of the office room. When I entered my classroom, my friend Ajin asked me what I was doing at the letter box. I told him that I was posting a letter to one of my friends. He laughed at the outdated habit of writing letters. He asked me, “Why write letters in this era of WhatsApp and Email?” I replied, “There are some who have no access to these. If you have ever felt the joy and happiness in sending and receiving letters, you would not have commented like this.”
Weeks passed. There was no reply. I was disappointed at the thought that my first attempt in letter writing was a failure. I thought that the letter hasn’t reached my friend’s address. But after two months, one afternoon the postman came to my house and informed that there was a letter for me. I was really surprised with joy. At last, I have got the reply from my friend, which I thought, I would never receive. I read and reread the letter many times. He said that he was very happy when he received my letter. He shared his experience of working along with the Indian social activist Smt. Medha Patkar. During Christmas, I also received an aerogram from him. I was in the zenith of happiness.
After this, I wrote letters to many of my friends.  Many of them told me that, they were receiving letters for the first time in their life. I also keep the reply letters in my diary which enable me to recollect the past. While I conclude this article, I exhort dear readers to experience the joy and beauty in writing letters. The letters from dear and near ones always make us feel that we are not alone in our lives and it soothes you as balm during the troubles and tribulations of life. Let us bear in mind the words of the popular writer Kiran Manral, There is a charm to letters and cards that emails and SMS s can’t ever replicate, you cannot inhale them, drawing the fragrance of the place they have been mailed from, the feel of paper in your hand bearing the weight of the words contained within.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Friend we Have in Jesus